You’ll love this homemade waterproof sunburn recipe. This sunscreen is non-greasy, super easy to make, smells great and has skin friendly ingredients.
Ingredients DIY waterproof sunscreen recipe
- 60 grams of coconut oil
- 240 grams of Shea butter
- 50 grams of Zinc Oxide for SPF factor 15 or 100 grams of Zinc Oxide for SPF factor 20
- 60 grams of Aloe Vera gel
- 25 drops of carrot seed oil
How to make DIY waterproof sunscreen
- Combine all ingredients except zinc oxide and aloe vera gel in a medium saucepan.
- Melt the shea butter and oils together over medium heat.
- Let the mixture cool for a few minutes before stirring in the aloe vera gel.
- Allow to cool completely before adding zinc oxide.
- Mix well to ensure that the zinc oxide is well distributed.
Information about the ingredients
Coconut oil – contains natural SPF properties. Be aware that it is estimated to block only 20% of the sun’s harmful rays.
Aloe Vera – is a good active ingredient for your homemade sunscreen. It has been proven to both treat and prevent burns on your skin.
Shea butter – naturally protects the skin, making it perfect for use in homemade sunscreen.
Carrot Seed Oil – contains powerful antioxidants and vitamin E to help fight free radicals, renew skin cells and improve complexion/elasticity. It has an SPF against UV rays of 18.8.
Zinc oxide – a non-toxic, effective broad-spectrum sunblock. The particles sit on the outer layer of your skin, scattering and absorbing UVA and UVB rays and protecting the skin underneath.
How to choose your homemade sunscreen SPF
Different amounts of zinc oxide are needed, depending on what SPF you want your homemade sunscreen to have. Be aware that the zinc oxide must be a certain percentage by weight of your ingredients (before adding the zinc oxide).
2-5 SPF: Use 5% zinc oxide.
6-11 SPF: Use 10% zinc oxide
12-19 SPF: Use 15% zinc oxide
>20 SPF: Use 20% zinc oxide.