Cocoa butter is one of the most stable fats (with a shelf life of up to five years) and also contains natural anti-oxidants. It is known as a barrier that helps retain moisture in your skin. This Cocoa Butter smells deliciously of cocoa.
What is unrefined cocoa butter?
Unrefined means that the product has been processed as little as possible, or sometimes not at all, in the factory. These products are as close to nature as possible, which also preserves most of the vitamins, fiber and minerals in the products.
Cocoa butter is a main ingredient in skin creams and other health and beauty products. Unlike the cocoa butter in your dessert, the cocoa butter in your skin care will not make you gain weight.
Cocoa butter is a type of fat that comes from cocoa beans. To make cocoa butter, the beans are extracted from the large cocoa plant. Then they are roasted, stripped and pressed to extract the fat – the cocoa butter. The residues are then processed into cocoa powder. Cocoa has been used in medicine for some 3,000 years. It was a favorite ingredient of the ancient Aztecs and Mayans, who even used cocoa as currency. More recently, researchers have discovered that the phytochemical compounds in cocoa can keep both your body and your skin healthy.
Using cocoa butter
Because cocoa butter is hard at room temperature but softens on contact with your skin, it is an ideal butter for making lip balm or massage bars. Cocoa butter melts at 35°C, after which you can then mix it with essential oil for a nice scent or with coconut oil, for example, to make it a little softer. Then pour it into a small jar or empty lip balm stick and you have your own lip balm! For a massage bar, you can pour the melted oil into an ice cube tray, let it cool and you have delicious bars to massage with.
Furthermore, cocoa butter is great to rub on after showering to retain moisture in your skin for extra hydration. Take a piece of cocoa butter in your hand and rub it over your skin, paying extra attention to dry, rough areas. Because your skin is warm from showering, the butter melts easily and absorbs well.
Benefits of cocoa butter
- Unrefined cocoa butter is a powerful antioxidant and contains high levels of vitamins E and K, palmitic acid, oleic acid and stearic acid. It hydrates and protects the skin and is effective in fighting skin aging and stimulating collagen thanks to vitamins E and K.
- Moisturizing properties: Cocoa butter is highly moisturizing and can deeply nourish the skin. It forms a protective barrier on the skin’s surface, prevents moisture loss and helps maintain the skin’s natural hydration. This makes it a valuable ingredient in soaps and cosmetics, especially for dry or dehydrated skin.
- Softening and emollient effects: The rich texture of cocoa butter helps soften and smooth the skin. It promotes suppleness and can improve the overall texture and appearance of the skin. In soap formulations, it contributes to a creamy lather and luxurious feel.
- Antioxidant properties: Cocoa butter contains natural antioxidants, including polyphenols and vitamins E and K, which help protect the skin from free radical damage. These antioxidants can help reduce the signs of aging, such as fine lines, wrinkles and age spots, making cocoa butter a beneficial ingredient in anti-aging products.
- Healing and soothing properties: Cocoa butter has soothing properties that can help relieve skin irritations, inflammation and redness. It can be beneficial for sensitive or irritated skin conditions such as eczema or dermatitis. Its healing properties can help repair damaged or chapped skin.
- Aroma and fragrance: Refined cocoa butter has a pleasant and natural chocolate-like aroma. Its fragrance can enhance the sensory experience of using soap and cosmetics, providing a subtle and attractive scent.
- Stability and shelf life: Cocoa butter has a high melting point, giving it excellent stability in formulations. It helps prevent products from melting easily, making it suitable for various soap and cosmetic applications. In addition, cocoa butter has a long shelf life, allowing products to retain their quality over time.
There are no reviews yet.